Saturday, June 2, 2012

Coulter's Matilija Poppy



































When I first moved here 2 years ago, I was astounded by these huge poppies growing wild in the hillsides throughout town. They grow super tall and it could be safe to say that some reach 8 inches in width. Evidently they are endangered  and don't grow everywhere. But here in Brigadoon that would make perfect sense.

Actually they do well in very arid conditions, so from what I understand these can easily take over a garden if you try to transplant them into yours. They are seen throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and  are native to California. They were named after a Chief living in the Ventura area. I don't remember them from my early years of living in the bay area, but I could have been looking at other things...........like boys.

So after the wild roses that garnish the hills stop blooming, these pop up and add drama on my walks to the post office. Just an added spring perk of living here!
Romneya Coulteri
(Papaveraceae)

No comments:

Post a Comment