Monday, November 11, 2013

January/February 2013

































I started digging up the grass and weeds in the area close to the house. I really started getting into it - and it provided me with a lot of exercise. It pulled up really easy. The weather was still very chilly, but it felt good to be out in whatever sun was available. All I could think of were the rows of canning jars filled with produce from my organic garden.




















 Ta Da!



















So bit by bit, to the entertainment of my neighbors, I dug this monster up with a shovel and my own two hands. I put down old bricks from the building that had once lived in this spot, rearranged rocks and concrete, and built myself the beginnings of a garden. I KNEW that I was probably not going to get the results that I was fantasizing about because I simply had no money or resources for new soil and amendments. But I was going to give it one hell of a try! I kept finding burned wood in the soil as I dug it up. The building here had burned down maybe 15 years ago or so. But ash is good for the soil. Right?





















  Hope springs eternal.
The weather in late February was allowing me to plant some peas and replant some potted herbs.
And in the meantime, I started basil, pepper, and lots of Heirloom tomato seeds upstairs under my skylight. My friend Lisa and I were getting lots of  heirloom and organic seeds from places like Baker Creek and Territorial Seeds. I pored through the seed catalogs for hours, trying to figure out what would grow  well in this area. I did really well with getting my seedlings started.The conditions were perfect. In fact, people told me that they just couldn't do it well, gave up, and went on to get their plants from a nursery. So I was plenty pleased with myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment